Thursday, January 17, 2013

Germs are the Devil

So, one of the downfalls of being a kindergarten teacher? You're exposed to SO many yucky germs and are susceptible to getting sick. Case in point...

I was sick back in December and saw a doctor. She determined I had bronchitis and gave me a breathing treatment and a round of antibiotics for the ear infection that I had also incurred. After taking the medication, I thought I had gotten better and actually felt relatively decent through the holiday season.

However, last week (Wednesday, to be exact) I felt myself getting sick again. I managed to get myself through the rest of the week (and a formal observation that I had with my principal on Friday) but I didn't have the time over the weekend to nurse myself back to health - I was working at my part-time job - and I think that's what did me in.

I woke up Monday feeling terrible but decided to tough it out and go to work. Low and behold, I didn't make it past 9:30 that morning. I asked my principal to go home and I've been in bed or parked on my sofa ever since.

I went into the doctor on Tuesday and she sent me to the hospital to get chest x-rays, thinking that it could be pneumonia. On top of that, she gave me a steroidal shot to "kick start" my immune system along with another breathing treatment and an aggressive antibiotics and medication treatment - five different medications in all!

It's been horrible. I hate being sick and being away from my classroom and the kids. But I know this comes as a warning - that I need to slow and take care of myself and not work myself to death with two jobs and school. So my doctor gave me a medical leave of absence until next week so that I can fully recover.

Although I don't mind all the extra rest I've been getting, the antibiotics that I was put on are incredibly strong and make me sick to my stomach. I just want to be better already!

So forgive me if I have been lagging on the posts...I will try to get back into the swing of things soon. Till then...

2 comments:

  1. Hello I just read through your whole blog. I am currently getting my credentials and working in an SDC preschool class. I would love to do mild mod k-2 in the future. Have you ever had any children with Down syndrome or do you know of any mild mod classes with children with Down syndrome? Would you say your class is non-categorical? Btw I loved your blog!!! Ur room is adorable :))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Wildflower! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and read my blog - I love hearing from my readers!

      To answer your question, I do not currently have any students with down syndrome in my classroom. From what I have seen in my district, students with downs are usually found in the moderate-severe classrooms.

      For the most part, I get students with a broad range of disabilities including autism, ADHD/ADD, dyslexia, speech and language impairments, orthopedic impairments, ED, specific learning disabilities, and other health impairments. And it changes year to year, as I get new students each fall.

      Hope that answers your questions! Thank you!

      Delete