Thursday, September 13, 2012

Education Fail

This December I will be done with the last two classes I need in order to clear my special education credential (I'm clearing my multiple subject credential through BTSA), and had every intention of applying for the master's program (in special education) for this coming spring. 

Yesterday I was given some fairly disappointing news - our university is not accepting master's applications for my particular degree for the spring semester. This is disappointing for several different reasons: (1) If I am not in school at least part-time, I will have to start paying back my student loans, and (2) I am only 3 classes away from getting my master's degree and just want to get done! 

I emailed my program coordinator at the university - half freaking out! - wanting to know what my options are. I'm supposed to go in to see her next week. 

I have no idea what I'm going to do if I can't take any classes at the university. I guess I can always take   a couple of bogus classes, but that means taking out additional student loans for classes I don't really need or want. 

There is an autism class I need to take by 2014 in order to get the autism authorization added to my special education credential, but the class is only offered during the morning hours and with working full-time this would be impossible. 

I hate that state budget cuts in education are affecting students the hardest and not the politicians that put them in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment