Friday, September 7, 2012

Class of 2013

We have officially started the school year! I've been so consumed with work and school, and have had very little time to blog in the last week. But I did want to write a quick little blurb about my new class.

I have the privilege of being the only kindergarten mild-moderate teacher in the district I work for, meaning that all students who are placed in the mild-moderate special day class (SDC) - regardless of where they live in the district - get bused to my work site and I get to be their teacher. Unlike other SDC teachers in my district, I teach strictly one grade level...which is very fortunate and unique.

This year I have only six students in my classroom - SIX! Last year, I started the school year with thirteen students. While it is a smaller class, I still have several "challenges." Despite these, though, my class is relatively mellow...unlike last year's class. 

To give a brief recap of my first days of teaching last fall, I had one student who would throw violent tantrums - punching, scratching, head butting, and biting myself, my aides, and other students. This student was also a "runner" and would try to run out the door of the classroom on a moment's notice. He also told me - on numerous occasions - that he "was going to have [his] mom kill and punch [me]." 

Another student of mine would lay on the floor and self-stimulate. Our efforts to get him involved in the small group centers were rendered useless when he'd scream, tantrum and throw himself back on the ground. 

I had another student who would not stay in his seat for more than 30 seconds and who - in a matter of minutes - had haphazardly reorganized all my math manipulatives. On top of this, I had several students who would cry at the drop of the hat. Oh! And I had one student who was non-verbal and could only speak in grunts. 

Our school psychologist came into my classroom yesterday and actually called this year's class "boring." Although I miss my kiddos from last year's class, I guess I would rather have "boring" than what I had started with last year. 

I'm hoping to get a couple of more students in the next few weeks (I've already been told that one of the inclusion students in the general education class does not look like they're going to cut it.) We'll see if I can work my magic on this group of kids, as I did last year. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment