Friday, August 31, 2012

It's a Jungle in Here

Happy Labor Day Weekend! For many of us teachers, it's our final hurrah before we have to return to our classrooms to start a new school year on Tuesday. I, like many of my colleagues and teaching fellows across the state, have been busily preparing my classroom for the students' arrival on Tuesday.

The last two days have been spent attending a district-wide training for Direct Interactive Instruction (DII) - a new mandate throughout our district. I attended this two-day shindig with my special education colleagues and friends from across the district. I won't say much about the training...apart from it was almost a complete waste of my time and took away valuable time that I could have been using to do something productive for my classroom.

The training ended at 2:30 both today and yesterday and while my friends went home after the training, I dragged myself back to my classroom. I was on campus this evening until 6:00, and even then I wasn't done. (I'm returning to work 8 a.m. to noon tomorrow!)

However, my room is coming together nicely. I got all my bulletin boards set up - with the exception of my word wall and "Student of the Week" board - and they look pretty nice...even though they're missing student work! I organized, cleaned, rearranged, laminated, punched, and prepared materials I will need for next week.

This year, I decided to create (and hopefully maintain) a single classroom theme for the year. I got so tired last year spending entire afternoons and evenings ripping down butcher paper, putting new paper and borders up, and switching out bulletin boards. I figured having one cohesive theme throughout might cut down on that work load a bit (I will only have to change out the student work).

I scoured the Internet (and Pinterest) to find ideas I could use for my classroom. Here's what I came up with...tell me what you think!

Calendar Wall - Still a work in progress!
Front dry erase board
Behind my desk
Technology Center 

Writing portfolio wall 
This tree is a work in progress!




New flannel board 



"First, Then" - Pinterest Idea
My behavior management system 
Close-up


Another Pinterest idea... 
The dreaded time-out chair

As you can see, I have several things that are "in progress." I want to get more "jungle decor" into the room...I might work on that tomorrow. But overall, I don't think it looks half bad.

Thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment